Thursday, March 10, 2011

a delightful discovery...

anne of green gables is just the beginning of an eight-book series! EIGHT! life is good.=)


the second book i'm reading now depicts anne's first year as a teacher! and look how lovely the copies are at the local library. i couldn't imagine prettier covers. i'm inspired to paint our bedroom a light turquoise...


though anne was a schoolma'am over one hundred years ago, i find myself relating, especially with this reply when marilla asks how her first day was: "My thoughts feel as if they had been all stirred up until they were thick and muddy."

some of my other favorite quotes thus far:

"After all," Anne had said to Marilla once, "I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string." 

"Anne smothered a little sigh. She loved Diana dearly and they had always been good comrades. But she had long ago learned that when she wandered into the realm of fancy she must go alone. The way to it was by an enchanted path where not even her dearest might follow her." 

"I'd like to add some beauty to life," said Anne dreamily. "I don't exactly want to make people know more... though I know that is the noblest ambition... but I'd love to make them have a pleasanter time because of me... to have some little joy or happy thought that would never have existed if I hadn't been born." 
(Anne of Avonlea) 


"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive - it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we know all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?"

"There's such a lot of different Annes in me. I sometimes think that is why I'm such a troublesome person. If I was just the one Anne it would be ever so much more comfortable, but then it wouldn't be half so interesting."

"It was November - the month of crimson sunsets, parting birds, deep, sad hymns of the sea, passionate wind-songs in the pines. Anne roamed through the pineland alleys in the park and, as she said, let that great sweeping wind blow the fogs out of her soul."
(Anne of Green Gables)


last two photo's source

15 comments:

  1. Have you read Pollyanna??
    My daughter liked that book.
    Love the quotes you posted.
    Wish I could read more!! Our house is just too LOUD and crazy right now.
    Peace and Raw Health,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Ok I am going to start reading it soon! There's a few other books this reminds me of, one I can't remember the name of but one is called Caddie Woodlawn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loooove Anne. I feel like a reread after visiting your blog today. PBS also had a really good miniseries (?) based on the books that was on the air when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kelli! :) I'm so glad you liked the book! When I read it, I also wrote down some quotes. This book is just so inspiring and I love L. M. Montgomery's use of words. She had to love nature much! I could also relate myself to Anne. Me and her would be bosom friends. By the way, I have a copy of "Anne of GG" in English and it was one English book I really enjoyed. Now I'm struggling with another book in English and it's not that easy anymore. I don't know why. I have to use the dictionary all the time and it's boring. But I thoroughly loved "Anne of GG". I used the book for my home-reading task for school as well. Oh and I have read "Anne of Avonlea", too! Unfortunately there are no more books of Anne in my library. I'd love to read the whole series!

    If you love the books, you'll definitely love the films of Anne. There are 3 films! And they're brilliant. They were filmed in 1985, directed by Kevin Sullivan. I so recommend the films to you!

    You have been busy on your blog lately. I loved all the posts! Just don't have time to comment all the time (or I'm just lazy...), but know that I'm reading your blog. :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kelli. I was interested in reading your selected quotes. They say more about you than anything. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. elizabeth, i think i saw pollyanna the movie when i was a child. i'll have to check out the book!

    bitt, quit stalling!=)

    kt, i'm usually leary about watching the films when i really loved the book, but i've heard nothing but good things so i'll check it out when i'm finished the series. i may also go see the play soon.=)

    hi lela! i emailed you!=)

    thank you, clint. blessings to you too, my friend.=)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne always had the most wonderful things to say! And the way she said it all is magical to me. Cheesy I know but Anne is the most loveable character and I always wished I could speak like her. You know, I need some new material to read...may have to start picking up this series.

    ReplyDelete
  8. heidi, her outlook is so refreshing, isn't it? it's especially nice to read about simpler times. i want to create a green gables! i think john's afraid i'm going to try and turn him into a farmer.=)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ha ha! But that would be awesome to go back to a simpler time and have a farm! I'd like my own green gables too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it so would. i'd like for your homestead to be within walking distance of mine so you can flick your lights and signal to me. oh yes, i'd also like electricity, running water, and internet connection. tee hee hee.=)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey! I've been meaning to tell you that your pics from when you were little were so dang cute. I know that post was forever ago but better late than never! See you today Kell!

    ReplyDelete
  12. aww thanks miss! see you soon! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I simply ADORE the Anne books and movies! They are treasures. I sure love the quotes you've selected. I see a few I'd love to share on my blog too. Thank you!!

    Here's to good books, beautiful words, and lovely days <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was a diehard Little House on the Prairie reader as a kid, and only read the Anne series for the first time a few years ago (although I'd watched the movies many times!) I was so delighted by the wit and satire in the writing :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...